St. Michaelis Church
The church was originally built with half-timbering in 1665-1668. Over the years, the church has been rebuilt several times and today the building is characterized by neoclassicism.
In the beginning, the church was called “German Church” because it served the many German-speaking immigrants and not least the garrison who mainly spoke German.
St. Michaelis Church has been Garrison Church from the beginning – and it still is. One of the ministers from the church is chaplain to the garrison and thus minister for the soldiers on duty in Fredericia. Therefore, the church also had a vital part to play in connection with the sortie from Fredericia on July 6th 1849.
St. Michaelis Church is included in a special arrangement that requires the church to serve the garrison and appoint a chaplain to the garrison. Furthermore, the church has a lodge for commandants intended for the chief of regiment. Count, countess, and the royals are also seated in the lodge when attending service. Today, St. Michaelis church can be described as the only Garrison Church in Denmark outside of Copenhagen.
350th anniversary and renovation
St. Michaelis Church celebrated its 350th anniversary in 2018. The day was celebrated with a service and a visit from the queen.
The church was closed most of the year prior to the anniversary due to an extensive internal and external renovation of the church as well as the churchyard.
The overall objective with the internal renovation was to re-establish the expression of the church from before the fateful fire in 1955. However, it was important to maintain a modern expression with attention to light and openness. The ceiling, floor, benches, pulpit, kneeler and communion table was replaced.
In the video below, you can see a presentation of the church interior in St. Michaelis Church after the renovation in 2018.
The Religious Life
Today, St. Michaelis Church is home to a large active congregation and a diverse congregational life. Examples include the many children of the church, a large international community and a gospel choir called Saint Michael Voices. The gospel choir often contribute with concerts on different occasions.
Art in the church
In the northern part of the church is a gallery on two floors. The baptismal font is a copy three quarters the size of Thorvaldsen’s baptismal font in Copenhagen Cathedral. One of the treasures in the church is a crucifix carved by sculptor Astrid Noack. In 1995, the church got a new altarpiece painted by artist Svend Havsteen-Mikkelsen.
Michaelis House and the Church Tower
The yellow building north-east of the church is the Michaelis House. The building was originally a school known as the Michaelis School or the German School. In addition, the building housed both the bell ringer and the organist.
In the beginning of the 19th century, the public library and the school dental clinic were housed in the building. Today, the Michaelis House functions as church hall for St. Michaelis Church.
The tower of the church was built in 1763. Therefore, the year written on the tower is not the year of construction. However, it indicates the year of a renovation.
The tower is not much higher than the roof ridge. The reason for this is that a higher tower would be visible beyond the ramparts and as a result serve as a point of direction for enemies.
The church is closed on Mondays. However, it is open for groups by prior arrangement.
St. Michaelis Church is normally open for visitors:
Tuesday – Friday: 09.00-15.00.
In June, July and August the church is also open on Saturdays from 09.00-12.00.
The opening hours may vary. The church might be reserved in connection with religious ceremonies. In certain cases, the church may be closed due to vacation and the like.